Crusader- Entering 2nd
The designated summer reading books for students entering second grade are:
- Days With Frog and Toad by Arnold Lobel
- Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown
These books were included in your book fees at enrollment/re-enrollment and can be picked up in the front office of either campus after enrollment/re-enrollment is complete through Admissions.
Students must complete one assignment for each required book. Students in each grade level are required to read two books and complete one assignment per book. This year students will be given options for creativity with the assignments: traditional or non-technological. To receive full credit, all work must be submitted to the teachers by the first Friday of the school year, August 12, 2022.
The traditional options are worksheets. If your child prefers to complete the traditional worksheet (grades 1-3), they DO NOT need to complete the non-technological options. The written assignments for these books are posted below.
These options for all students entering 1st - 6th grades can include any of the reports listed below, meeting the literary requirements for their grade level.
Poster Book Report:
- Use a poster (any color).
- Draw a picture of the main character, or a favorite scene, in the center of the poster.
- Divide the poster into sections to organize and present literary requirements for each grade level.
- Add the student’s name and date completed to the bottom right corner of the poster.
- Fold multiple sheets of copy paper (any color) in half.
- The book cover must include a drawing of the main character or a favorite scene, title and author of the book, student name, and date completed.
- Title each page of the mini-book with each required grade level detail (example “Literary Elements”, “Vocabulary”, “Biblical Theme”, etc.).
- Add creative embellishments to the pages as desired.
Non-technological options MUST include the literary requirements listed for each grade level.
The minimum requirements for 2nd grade students are as follows for EACH book:
- list the title and author
- a minimum of 3 literary elements (setting, characters, problem and solution)
- a minimum of 3 new vocabulary words with definitions and a memorable sentence
- 1 biblical theme
Additional Book Recommendations
Curl Up With a Good Book This Summer!
While we are requiring your child to read two books, we encourage him/her to read all throughout the summer. Below is a list of grade-level books that your child may enjoy. This will be a great introduction to the reading your child will do throughout the year.
- Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People’s Ears by Verna Aardema
- The Nightingale by Hans Christian Andersen
- Thumbelina by Hans Christian Andersen
- Katy and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee Burton
- Stellaluna by Jannell Cannon
- Guji Guji by Chih-Yuan Chen
- Mercy Watson to the Rescue by Kate DiCamillo
- Only One Woof by James Herriot
- Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen
- Hooway for Wodney Wat by Helen Lester
- Frederick by Leo Lionni
- A Hat for Ivan by Max Lucado
- Enemy Pie by Derek Munson
- Just Plain Fancy by Patricia Polacco
- Curious George series by H. A. Rey